Turkish Chicken Skewers
Vibrant hints of garlic and fresh lemon. You'll love cooking this for loved ones. Best served steaming hot!
Here's What You'll Need:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of allspice
- ¼ cup total of fresh parsley and cilantro leaves (or either one)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup of yogurt (full, low fat or fat free)
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced for skewering
- 2 tablespoons of sumac spice for sprinkling
- For the yogurt drink Ayran:
- 2 cups of yogurt (full, low or fat free)
- ½ cup of cold water
- ½ cup of ice
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup total of mint and parsley leaves
- Preheat a bbq on medium high heat or preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse together the garlic, tomatoes, lemon juice, spices, fresh herbs, olive oil and yogurt until smooth.
- Toss the chicken in this marinade and skewer it on wooden skewers placing a thin slice of lemon in between each chicken cube.
- Cook the chicken on the bbq for 3-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chicken cubes) on each side with the lid closed at all times.
- Once chicken is ready, sprinkle it with a generous amount of sumac spice and serve with flattered and plenty of yogurt drink on the side.
- For the yogurt drink: place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and slightly foamy. Save cold right away.
This recipe is from the wonderful Two Purple Figs. Please check it out!